If you are looking for my Cyberfeminism blog...

You've come to the wrong place but feel free to look around anyway!
My Cyberfeminsim blog is actually over at http://arachnetwopointoh.blogspot.com
Sorry for the confusion.
Have a totally awesome day!

Friday, April 27, 2007

Buyer Beware


This is a guide to a few of our favorite pick-me-up study buddies: Energy Drinks!

Redline-


Sold in gas stations and health food stores across America this tiny blue bottle looks relatively harmless, at first glance I wrote it off as low power but it would do in a time of desperate caffeine need. Within 30 minutes of finishing the bottle I was shaking and sweating and my heart was racing like a speed addict. There are warnings on the bottle in tiny print warning that consumption should take over two hours and reactions were frequent. Of course I didn’t notice these warnings until I had already slammed the bottle. I remained in this state of hypo manic for 36 hours before I finally relaxed enough to sleep. Even then I still felt the effects such as shaky hands, chills, and difficulty sleeping for another 3 days.

Seeing how frequent these reactions are I would warn anyone who is thinking about trying Redline reserve it for times of desperation and use very little. It is sincerely a dangerous product causing deaths due to heart palpitations and heart attacks in many users. It is only for the truly fearless and hardcore caffeine addicts. As far as I’m concerned, there are much better less deeply affecting products out there.






A common friend to the average college night owl, this variation of liquid energy makes up for what it lacks in caffeine with massive amounts of High Fructose Corn Syrup. I’ve tried using it when pulling all nighters but found that it only works if you are willing to drink it almost constantly. I do have to say that it tastes the best out of the world of energy drinks but as for effectiveness it lacks a serious punch.

Go with Sobe if you’re only looking for a minor pick me up or energy with flavor. If you’re looking for a serious ally you’ll want to skip this one.






The notorious wing-giving energy concoction can be summed up in two words: caffeinated Smarties. We all remember Halloween and those horrible chalky little rolls of Smarties. At first taste I was convinced they had liquefied Smarties and added caffeine. Although it has a slight kick the tiny cans, exorbitant price, and weird taste are a definite turn off.

If you’re looking for something strangely sweet-ish with a kick and you have money to burn, go for it.





Lesser known and soon to be discontinued this variation of traditional Coca-Cola and super strength coffee packs a punch with a new twist on flavor. The taste is a mix between the bitterness of black coffee with the sugary sweet of Coca-Cola making for a taste bud wake up call. The amount of caffeine is virtually perfect for a late night, not enough that you have serious side effects, but not so little that you have to have a constant stream.

The price is reasonable. The taste is strange but still good. The caffeine factor is dead on. If you’re planning a late night for finals, or any reason, stock up because word has it that Coca-Cola is planning to pull the plug on this one.

1 comment:

jbarth said...

caffine can be a very harmful drug if taken in mega doses. I suggest looking in to herbs instead. Another thing you can try is taking the "b" vitams they are safter and you don't experience the lows that are associated with caffine